deeply saddened and shocked at the loss of umpire Wally Bell," said Joe Torre, MLB executive vice-president for b | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
Deleted user Jul 13 '16, 09:27PM
BOSTON -- The Memphis Grizzlies may have missed Marc Gasols inside defence. Josh Leribeus Jersey . His absence certainly didnt hurt their scoring in the paint. Jerryd Bayless scored 22 points and Mike Conley had 14 with nine assists to propel the Grizzlies to a 100-93 win over the Boston Celtics on Wednesday night. Playing their second straight game without the NBAs reigning defensive player of the year, Gasol, who is expected to be lost for 3-4 weeks with a sprained MCL in his left knee, the Grizzlies built a big lead by overpowering Boston in the paint and hung on late. Zach Randolph scored 13 points, Tony Allen 12 and Ed Davis had 11 with seven rebounds for the Grizzlies, who posted their fifth consecutive road win after losing two straight home games. "Were playing well. Everyones contributing. Weve got to continue to do that," Bayless said of the teams effort without Gasol. "We still have Zach and Zachs a premier big man in the league. Weve got to continue to get him the ball and hes capable of doing great things." Kosta Koufos had 13 rebounds and seven points, starting at centre in Gasols absence. Randolph added seven boards. "Obviously, were going to have to do it by committee and his presence cant be filled by one guy," former Celtic Allen said. "Were going to have to do it together. Guys went down in previous seasons. Weve got to understand theres a lot of games left." Jeff Green led the Celtics with 26 points, Jared Sullinger had 23 and Avery Bradley 16. Sullinger added 12 rebounds. The Grizzlies grabbed the lead in the games opening minutes and never trailed the rest of the way -- though Boston made a late charge in the last 2 minutes. The Celtics trailed 90-77 with just under 2 minutes left before Sullingers late scoring barrage. It came after Boston finally figured out how to guard the paint better. "Thats why its a game of adjusting, changing," Celtics coach Brad Stevens said. "If you look at the game, you give yourself a chance to win. We were never quite back in the game." Memphis five-game road winning streak is two off the club record set from Feb. 17-March 10, 2010. "It always feels good coming back to Boston and getting a win for me personally," said Allen, a member of Bostons 2008 NBA champions. Boston had won its last two games, both on the road. Memphis opened a double-digit lead late in the first quarter en route to a 49-36 halftime edge. "They just came out aggressively and our intensity wasnt there," Green said. "We allowed them to put us on our heels and thats how they got their early lead." Grizzlies guard Mike Miller and a few of his teammates came out to warm up for the second half and there were no basketballs on the court. They had to stand around and wait a few minutes till some were brought out. It didnt matter because they were getting enough easy shots to keep fending off any charge the Celtics made. Boston cut its deficit to nine points three times in the third, but the Grizzlies kept going inside against the Celtics interior defence. Seven of Memphis nine baskets in the quarter came from inside the lane. Miller and Bayless each hit 3-pointers in the fourth and Memphis never allowed Boston to get close until Sullinger hit a pair of late 3-pointers and scored eight straight points in the closing 2 minutes. Bradleys 3 with 14.4 seconds left cut Indianas lead to 96-93. Bayless made two free throws with 13 seconds remaining to seal it. In the first half, the Grizzlies scored the final 11 points of the first quarter, taking a 27-13 lead at the break. Boston hit only 5 of 18 shots from the field in the quarter. Bayless had three points and Miller nailed a 3 during the spree. Memphis first eight baskets in the game came from layups or very short jumpers. Bayless scored seven points as Memphis had 11 of the first 17 points in the second, pushing its lead to 38-19 midway into the quarter. Bradley nailed a 3 from the left corner for Boston, slicing the gap to 45-34, but the Celtics never narrowed it into single digits in the opening half. NOTES: Celtics guard Courtney Lee sprained his left knee in the second half and didnt return. ... Boston F Kelly Olynyk missed his third straight with a sprained right ankle. ... Stevens said before the game that the Celtics would have a "small" inside lineup with the 7-foot Olynyk out. It hurt them in the opening quarter. ... Boston F Jeff Green was handed a microphone and spoke to the crowd at centre court before the tip-off, wishing them a Happy Thanksgiving. ... Memphis also beat Boston at home on Nov. 4. Derek Carrier Jersey . -- Charlie Graham stopped 67 shots as the Belleville Bulls edged the visiting Guelph Storm 6-5 on Saturday in Ontario Hockey League action. Ricky Jean-Francois Redskins Jersey . Tuesdays surgery at Atlantas Piedmont Hospital was performed by Dr. Xavier Duralde and Hawks team physician Dr. Michael Bernot. http:///...-hopkins-jersey.aspx . Luis Suarezs double powered Liverpool to a 4-0 victory over Fulham, and Southampton easily overcame Hull 4-1 to continue the south coast clubs impressive start to the season. Liverpool and Southampton sent Chelsea down to fourth place as the west London club was held to 2-2 at home.NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball umpire Wally Bell died of an apparent heart attack Monday, a week after working the NL playoff series between the Pittsburgh Pirates and St. Louis Cardinals. He was 48. The commissioners office said Bell died in his home state of Ohio. Bell had not been feeling well over the weekend and had been scheduled to see doctors later Monday at the Cleveland Clinic. Bell had quintuple bypass surgery on Feb. 18, 1999, that left him with an 8-inch scar down the middle of his chest. His father survived two heart attacks before he died. "All of us at Major League Baseball are in mourning tonight regarding the sudden passing of Wally Bell," Commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement. "I always enjoyed seeing Wally, who was a terrific umpire and such an impressive young man. On behalf of our 30 clubs, I extend my deepest condolences to Wallys family, fellow umpires and his many friends throughout the game." Bell was the first active MLB umpire to die since John McSherry passed away of a heart attack on the field in Cincinnati on opening day in 1996. Bell worked the 2006 World Series and three All-Star games, including this years event at Citi Field, where he was stationed at first base. A veteran of 21 big league seasons, he had also worked four league championship series and seven division series since joining the major league staff in 1993. "It was a devastating loss for us. Wally was a true umpires umpire," said Gerry Davis, crew chief for the NL championship series. "I think if youll check with the players and teams they felt the same way because Wally always gave 110 per cent on the field." The umpires for Game 3 at Dodger Stadium heard about Bells death an hour before they took the field. "We had to regroup rather quickly and put our concentration where it needed to be," Davis said after Los Angeles beat St. Louis 3-0. "We kept telling each other that thats the way Wally would have wanted it, and we know that thats really true. One of the things that we shared in the locker room afterwards is that Im sure hes vvery proud right now," he said. Dashon Goldson Redskins Jersey. Several players from around the majors expressed their condolences on Twitter. Dodgers catcher A.J. Ellis wrote: "Wally kept game fun and loose and I always looked forward to catching with him behind plate. I will miss his personality and professionalism." Boston pitcher Jake Peavy: "Just heard the news & devastated about the passing of Wally Bell. A great umpire, a great man." Toronto slugger Jose Bautista: "He always had great spirits on the field, i will always remember how he teased me about my beard." Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino: "My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Wally Bell. So sad to hear (and) will remember him tomorrow as I take the field." According to Bells biography on MLB.com, his proudest moment as a big league umpire was returning to the field after having open heart surgery. Two of his arteries had been 100 per cent blocked, two more had been 80 per cent blocked, another 70 per cent. Bell came back 11 weeks after his heart problem was detected for a game in San Diego. That night, plate umpire Mark Hirschbeck took the first ball out of play and kept it as a souvenir for Bell. "I am deeply saddened and shocked at the loss of umpire Wally Bell," said Joe Torre, MLB executive vice-president for baseball operations. "Umpiring was his life, and he touched so many people within the game of baseball. Aside from being an accomplished, All-Star-caliber umpire, Wally was a loving dad to his two teenage children. I extend my deepest condolences to them, his girlfriend Renee, the rest of his family and his admirers across Major League Baseball." During the 2013 regular season, Bell was a member of Tim McClellands crew. "Wally was a great umpire, a great partner and a great friend. The umpiring community is deeply saddened by this tragic loss. He will be sorely missed by many," said major league ump Joe West, President of the World Umpires Association. Bell is survived by his son, Jason, and daughter, Lindsey. Cheap Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys ' ' '